These instructions will serve as general guidelines to assist you in your recovery after surgery for severe obesity. If you have a question or problem do not hesitate to call our office for instructions. You should expect to feel better every day. You should have less pain, be able to tolerate the staged diet, and have easier time walking and performing daily activities.
The post-op diet is divided into 3 stages to allow a gradual adjustment.
Stage I: Liquid diet of few (3-6) small meals per day (total 400-800 kcal) x 2 weeks with up to 3 protein supplements per day
Stage II: Soft diet of few (3-6) small meals per day x 2 weeks with 1-2 protein supplements per day
Stage III: Regular diet of 2-3 meals per day (total 800-1200 kcal)+ 1 Afternoon Snack
1) Liquids only from list below six times daily at set times (i.e. 8am,
10am, noon, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm)
2) Liquid protein supplements up to 3 times daily for 3 of your meals.
* Note: Most people can only drink 1 protein drink per day, the first 2-3 days due to swelling.
Remember: small amounts (4-6 ounces)
- Go Slow ( 30 minute to drink 6 ounces )
- When you feel full STOP!
- No carbonated drinks for 2 weeks
• coffee, tea, fruit juice
• crystal light, Nutrasweet Koolaid
• diet drinks
• blenderized soup
• skim milk or Lactaid milk
• sugar free Jello, Popsicle's
• mashed potatoes
• sugarfree pudding
• cottage cheese
• apple sauce, oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat
PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS: designer protein from GNC, carnation instant breakfast, slimfast, pure pro powder or any protein powder supplement from a health food store.
These are best mixed with skim milk or Lactaid milk as lactose intolerance can occur the first few weeks after surgery. The protein powder can also be mixed with yogurt or with fruit and fruit juice if blenderized.
Soft foods from the list below can now gradually be added to your diet:
1. Six meals per day with a liquid protein supplement twice daily for two of the meals
2. No liquids with meals if soft food is included. You must wait 30-45 minutes for the pouch to empty before drinking.
3. CHEW WELL! - The food must be almost liquefied before swallowing
• Soft fruit ( banana, melon, strawberries)
• cooked vegetables and fish
• soft pasta (well chewed)
• toast or crackers
Gradually add regular foods and remember:
- Eat only at set meal times and at set snack time
- NO LIQUIDS with meals or for 30 minutes afterwards.
- Avoid cheap calories: fats, high calorie liquid, sweets, ice cream, junk food, cookies
- Discontinue protein supplements drinks
• Follow three stage diet plan to allow gradual adjustment
• Eat only at set meal time
• Go slow
• Chew well
• When you feel full: STOP!
* Liquids, junk food and sweets do not relieve hunger! Only solid food, which fills the pouch and empties slowly, will relieve hunger.